Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Inside the mind of a woman in labor

Delivery Suite - April 15, 12.01 a.m.

Nurse: This is your 3rd child? What time your pain started?

Me: 10 p.m.

Nurse: Why you come in so late?

Wanted to snap back at her, to save $$! But smile. You need her later.

Me: Please, can I have epidural now?

Nurse: I must check you first. See if you're ready to deliver.

Are you nuts? Can't you see I'm in pain? Still need to check if I'm ready? Wait... be nice. don't scream. smile. let her check all she wants. You need her later..

Me: Can you call the anesthetist now? Please? I cannot not have epidural.

Nurse: Ok. You are 5-6cm dilated. We call him. You relax. Use this gas. Just breathe in it.

I've tried this gas before! It doesn't work. But for now no choice. I'll do what she says. Breathe deeply. Have faith. Tell  yourself- the gas works, the gas works, the gas works. urgh.. it still doesn't!

Me: Where's the anesthetist? Did you call him?

Nurse: It'll take 15-20 min. He's coming from home.

You must be joking. He'll still need to change and drive down. He'll be here later. You're trying to comfort me. Ok, at least she has more power to help me than Ed. He is holding my hand, but she has the phone numbers to the doctor! Hey, maybe she can adminster the epidural.

Me: Where's the anesthetist? Did you call him?

Nurse: It'll take 15-20 min. He's coming from home.

Me: Nurse, please don't walk away. Stay in the room.

Nurse: I'm here.

Me: Where's the anesthetist? Did you call him?

Nurse: It'll take 15-20 min. He's coming from home.

This goes on for another period like eternity. Then...

Nurse: He's here. The anesthetist is here!

Anesthetist (in whisper): Get another nurse in. Hold her down.

Why? Am I very violent? Can you hurry? Do you know if I'm too dilated, epidural cannot be administered. I think I'll be one of those violent, scratch face, do emergency Caesarian people. IT'S ALREADY SO PAINFUL!! I can't keep smiling. I'm already snapping at you.

Nurse: Ok. You curl up. Face me. Keep breathing the gas. Keep still.

God, please help me. This is last hurdle. Keep still. Let the doctor do what he needs to do to prepare the epidural. Don't move. Keep still. Keep breathing this useless gas. Oh God, you must help me...

Moments pass. I'm still. No contractions. Doctor does his stuff. My body relaxes. Epidural takes effect. It's a miracle! I check the contractions graph, through out the period, there were contractions. But I didn't feel a thing! I was calm, curled up neatly, breathing steadily. Thank God!

After that, I'm more level headed. Apologised to the nurse if I was rude before. Smiled. Ask questions. Got back to my usual self. No more snapping at her.

Now I can rest. Later, just push. I consider the labor over. Praise the Lord!

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaha :D totally understand how you felt & what you went through .. needless to say, well done sis jh :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

blogger templates | Make Money Online