Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Family Time - An antidote for Divorce

On a recent trip to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), something really struck me.

It was early in the morning, and I was having breakfast with some friends in a cafe. Looking across me, I noticed a family having their breakfast there as well.

31082008637

They were having their Sunday Family Ritual - Breakfast with their morning papers and a DVD playing their child's favorite cartoon (So that she will be distracted).

Throughout the whole meal, not a single word was uttered, but they seemed to be in a little world of their own.

It struck me that - Quality time is very different for every family.

I tend to believe, that just being together is not enough, but intelligent, engaging conversation is needed. Spending time with my kids, means playing hide-and-seek or just bringing them somewhere new.

Whenever, I have the privilege to drive my boss (Ps Kong Hee), I am always amazed by his work ethic. He is always on the move and planning something new. Yet, despite his busyness, he always  finds time to call his wife SUN on the phone.

After preaching in Singapore every weekend, he is on the next plane out and off to spend time with his wife and children.

If a successful minister does not forego family time, how much more so for someone like me.

Before I go, If u like Korean Dramas, u will like this commercial. A bit long, but very touching.

Technorati Tags: ,,

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, it is a common sight in Singapore and sometimes it scare the wits out of me.... ermmm, perhaps you should mask the faces a bit ....

beaglesg said...

It is sad to see a family that is not communicating.

As a working mum who needs to work 5.5 week. i really value the time where i can spend having breakfast with my family.

What a joy it is!

Anonymous said...

well said!!!

balance has always been the key to life.. but sad to say most people live on either side of the broad way... its either too much work.. or too much family... it was said that "Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint"... the lack of knowledge indeed make the narrow path harder to walk through..

in my blog i also wrote something like this after coming back from KL... maybe people are just too caught up in their rat race. Their survival instinct out-weighs the human touch and everything else... Quality time have been neglected.. like one of your post says... "Proximity is not Intimacy"..

Ed or Edmund Tay said...

Glad that you guys liked the post.

Being a family man is never easy, and hopefully we can all do a good job at it.

Sheza - not very sure how to mask their faces...my photoshop not very good lei.

Sharon Chew's blog said...

I like this commercial very much too.
He's a great dad.
Like my dad. :)

Hann Hann said...

Wow. (the commercial)

Anonymous said...

Ed, your blog is great. I've enjoyed reading about how involved you are with your children and how you feel just being together is not enough. I have young children, too, and feel the same about this. I want to share with you that I refer to the Parent Coaching Institute and its Web site www.thepci.org as a valuable resource for our family, with its articles, Parent Appreciation Radio recordings, and parent coach referrals. Wishing you and your family all the best in 2009!
Sincerely,
Sharon

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

blogger templates | Make Money Online