Friday, June 27, 2008

Dengue Fever and the Aedes Mosquito

Remember all my back aches and pains?!? And how I had to go for the traditional Chinese Massage?

Now I know why!

My blood test report just came out yesterday, and I am down with dengue fever.

dengue

I guess, it explains why I have been getting this fever, that goes on and off, and why it keeps on coming back night after night.

I thought that I could just sleep it off, but it did not seem to work.

When the doctor announced the news to me, I was really quite shocked!

I thought that all dengue patients had this excessively high fever and they are usually bedridden and pale. This did not sound like ME!

As most of the time I would be well, but sometimes, in the middle of the day, I would suddenly feel very weak and in the last few days, I would feel a bit tipsy....

Anyway, I have been grounded and asked to stay in Singapore, so I don't think I will be flying off to Taiwan for the youth camps.

mosquito

The virus also spreads via the "Aedes mosquito", meaning that if the same mosquito that bites me, bites somebody else, the virus will spread. There is no known cure, but the body is supposed to be able to beat the virus over a period of time.

I also have to go for a daily blood test to make sure my blood platelets do not suddenly drop - so my arms are riddled with needle marks at the moment.

Currently, we are trying to keep the children safe from any mosquito bites, so please pray for us. Hopefully, the doctor will pass me off as fit very soon!

2 Comments:

Cloudsters said...

Get better soon, Ed. For anyone who wants to know more about dengue, the National Environment Agency has an official, constantly-updated site (eg number of folks coming down with dengue, advisories etc) at:

http://www.dengue.gov.sg/

We don't work there or anything, so hope you don't mind our suggesting the link as a public service.

Mockingbird said...

Father i pray you heal Edmund of dengue fever in Jesus' name. Amen!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

blogger templates | Make Money Online